City of Newberry Fire Department responded to 1935 Drayton Street, Apartment 176 on Saturday June 2 at approximately 7:51 p.m. in reference to an apartment fire.

When crews arrived, they found a kitchen fire in apartment 176. Fire Chief Keith Minick said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but the smoke traveled through to other units. Ventilation was performed to assist with smoke removal, Minick said. The fire was due to unattended cooking.

The American Red Cross was notified to assist with the residents in apartment 176. No injuries were reported.