|Parks, Recreation & Tourism|
Scott S. Sawyer, Director
“Connecting Community through People, Parks and Programs”
National Parks and Recreation Month - Park Awareness Campaign "Where's Super Johnnie?"
July is National Parks and Recreation Month. The theme for this year’s campaign is “Out is In” and the City of Newberry Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department in conjunction with the South Carolina State Parks Service wants to encourage everyone to “get outside and get in a park”.
Beginning on Monday, June 30 a cropped picture of “Super Johnnie” with a park in the background will be posted on the City of Newberry Facebook page. Everyone correctly identifying the park will be entered to win a City of Newberry and SC State Parks gift package. The SC State Parks gift package includes a Park Passport that provides free entry to all 47 State Parks, good through August 2015! Super Johnnie is played Super PRT Program Manager Johnnie Caldwell, who does it all for the Department.
Winners will be announced the following Monday on the City’s Facebook page, in the Newberry Observer and on the Recreation Report on WKDK. The full photo revealing the park Super Johnnie is in will be posted in the Newberry Observer along with the week’s gift package winner and information about the featured park.
Each week’s contest ends at midnight each Friday. Guesses must be posted on the City’s Facebook page under the Super Johnnie picture post. City of Newberry employees and their family members are not eligible to win. Winners can pick up their gift packages at the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department located at 1323 College Street. Proper identification may be required.
Gift Package Contents
The PRT department maintains the City's 100 acres of parks, implements youth and adult sports activities, has a Senior Adult program, plans the City's special events, promotes the City's tourism and manages the Newberry Firehouse Conference Center.
Special Events - newberryevents.net
· Free Family Movie Nights- January 31st, February 21st, and March 21st at 7pm in the Newberry Opera House
· Healthy Chili Cook-Off- February 1st from 11am-1:30pm in Memorial Park in Downtown Newberry
· Irish Fling- Friday before St. Patrick’s- March 14th starting at 5:00pm in Downtown Newberry
· The SummerFun/Horseshoe Pitchers Pro Tour Tournament- April 26th-27th in Marion Davis Park
· Pork in the Park- First Saturday in May from 11am-3pm in Memorial Park in Downtown Newberry
· National Night Out- First Tuesday in August from 6-8pm
· Oktoberfest- First Saturday in October all day in Downtown Newberry
· Main Street Lights- Official Community Christmas Tree Lighting at 6pm in Downtown Newberry
The Department has produced several guides that may be handy for long-time residents and visitors alike. The publications include:
If you are interested in receiving any of these publications, drop by our office, call us or send us an e-mail with your address and we will mail them to you.
Contact us today and find out how we can help you connect!